Saturday 27 April 2013

my UPSC INTERVIEW


my UPSC INTERVIEW

    My interview was on 13th March, afternoon session. We were 6 members in the group and we were in Rajni Razdan(RR) madam’s Board. I was the last person in that group of six. My interview started at around 4.15pm and lasted till 4.40pm. 
  Since I was the last person, I knew that the Board was cordial and also RR was not asking any questions.
{My Interview Board consisted of Chairperson (RR Madam) and 4 other male members.}
Me: May I come in madam?
RR: Yes, Please come in.
Me: Good Afternoon madam. Good Afternoon Sirs.
RR: Good Afternoon, Please take your seat.
Me: Thank you madam.
RR: What is your name?
Me: Chethan Kumar D.
RR: Roll number?
Me: 019745
(RR showed my photo and asked whether it was mine. I said Yes)
Member 1(M1): Chethan, you have done your PU from Sarvodaya college. What is the meaning of Sarvodaya?
Me: Sir, Sarvodaya means ‘Rise of all’.
M1: Do you know about Sarvodaya Movement?
Me: Sorry sir. I am unable to recollect.
M1: Do you know Vinobha Bhave?
Me: Yes sir.
M1: He started the Sarvodaya Movement.Where is his Ashram?
Me: I’m not sure sir, but it’s in Maharashtra.
M1: Have you heard of Wardha?
Me: Yes sir, It’s a place in Maharashtra.
M1: You have done your  BE from VTU. Tell me about Visveswariah?
Me: Sir M. Visveswariah was a famous engineer from Karnataka. He has built a dam.....
M1: OK, Which dam?
Me: KRS dam in Mysore.
M1: I think there is a beautiful garden beside KRS. What is it called?
Me: (I knew it, but the name was not coming out of my voice box, I tried to remember for 5 seconds and finally said..) Sorry sir, I m not able to recollect.
M1: (With smiling face) Is it Vrindavan?
Me: Yes sir(Smiling)

Member 2(M2): You play football. What is your greatest achievement till date?
Me: Sir, I have not participated in any tournaments. I play football with friends as an hobby.
M2: Ok, At what position you play?
Me: Sir, Centre Attacking Mid.
M1: Oh, Centre Forward, scoring position...
Me: No sir, behind  CF sir.
M2: In which formation do you play?
Me: 4-3-3 sir
M2: Ok.. Who wrote Gitanjali?
Me:  Rabindranath Tagore, sir.
M2: Discovery of India?
Me: Jawaharlal Nehru, sir?
M2: (He asked one more book. I don’t even remember the name of the book)
Me: Sorry sir, I don’t know.
M2: Gandhiji started his political life in South Africa. From which place did he do so?
Me: Dont know sir.
M2:Who wrote Ramayan?
Me: Valmiki, sir.
M2: Ramcharit Manas?
Me: Dont know sir.

Member 3(M3): Chethan, Coming back to football, When did you start playing football?
Me: During my Graduation days, sir.
M3: What is the National Trophy of India called?
Me: Santosh trophy, sir.
M3: What is the ranking of India?
Me: I’m not sure sir, but its too low, its above 100, sir.
M3: Its 159.
Me: Thank you sir.
M3: There is also a new coach appointed recently. Hope he will take India forward.
Me: Yes sir.
M3: Chethan, What is the achievement of Indian football in Olympics?  
Me: (I dint hear the question carefully, I thought he was asking about World Cup...) Sir, India has qualified once but has not won the Trophy. It was qualified in 1950.
M3: 1950! In 1950 there was no Olympics.
Me: Sorry sir, I thought you are asking about world cup. Sorry sir.
 M3: (The member told India’s achievement in Olympics...)
Me: Thank you, sir.
M3: You come from Karnataka. Which are the 2 states involved in Cauvery issue?
Me: Karnataka and Tamil Nadu, Sir , But kerala and puducherry are also riparian   states, sir.
M3:Ok. What is the Current status in the issue?
Me: sir, The Cauvery Water Disputes Tribunal(CWDT) gave the Award in 2007 and it was recently notified in the Gazette by the Govt of India in February.
M3: Can you tell the details of the Award?
Me: Yes Sir, 419 tmcft to Tamil Nadu, 270 tmcft to Karnataka, 30 tmcft to Kerala, and 7 tmcft to Puducherry.
M3: Are you happy with the Award?
Me: Yes sir.
M3: What is happening in Rome?
Me: Sir, The 2 Italian marines who are facing trial in India went on Parole to Italy to cast their votes, but they have not returned back.
M3: No, Not about death something about life is going on in Rome. What is it?
Me: Sir, Election of Pope.
M3: Yes. Why is it happening now?
Me: Sir, Because the earlier Pope- Pope Benedict retired from the post.
M3: Pope Benedict number?
Me: sir, XVI(16)
M3: Is he the first to do so?
Me: Yes sir.
M3: No, he is the 5th. He is the first to do so in recent 600 years.
Me: Thank you sir.
M3:Who will elect the Pope?
Me: Sir I’m not sure, Fathers from throughout the world will elect.
M3: Pope is also a Father. (Smiling..)
Me: I’m not sure of the election process sir.
M3: Ok. How will they signal the election is over?
Me: Sir, Smoke will come out of the chimney when election is over.
M3: Which colour smoke?
Me: Sir, White colour indicates Pope has been elected and Black smoke indicates the Pope has not elected yet.

Member 4(M4): What is famous about Bidar?
Me: (I dint knew the answer) Sir, it comes in Hyderabad-Karnataka Region.
M4:No, there is something famous about Bidar.
Me: Sorry sir, I don’t know.
M4:Do you Know Girish Karnad?
Me: Yes sir.
M4: Tell me about him?
Me: Sir, He is a famous Playwriter in Kannada. He has won the Jnanpith Award in 1998.
M4:Only Playwriter?
Me: No sir, He is also a famous Actor, Director and also writes novels.
M4: Does your district comes in Cauvery Basin Region.
Me: Yes sir, a part of it comes.
M4: Does Cauvery flow in Tumkur district?
Me: Yes sir, Tributary of Cauvery called Shimsha flows in Tumkur.
M4: Who wrote Vande Mataram?
Me: Bankim Chandra Chatterjee, sir.

RR: Thank You, Chethan. You may leave.
Me: Thank you Madam, Thank you Sirs.


No comments:

Post a Comment